[ARIN-consult] Reminder on ARIN Consultation on RPKI/BGP

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Feb 14 15:12:22 EST 2024

On Feb 14, 2024, at 2:54 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

On Wed, Feb 14, 2024 at 11:40 AM John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
On Feb 14, 2024, at 2:25 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
For that matter, nothing stops any of those 13 IRRs from publishing a
trust anchor and offering RPKI services. I wonder that none of them
do.

The abundance of IRRs (with varying levels of authorization controls) has resulted in rather
ambiguous provenance for many route objects in aggregate system.  I.e., it would be prudent
to seek community discussion and consensus before reproduction of that “feature” within the
RPKI ecosystem.

Hi John,

There'd be nothing to discuss if ARIN, alone among the RIRs, wasn't
holding a third of the registrations under its management as
"ineligible.”

Bill –

I believe that this has been discussed at length, but in brief –  yes, you are correct that ARIN’s
more advanced routing services (which involve significant investment of members funds) are only
made available to those who have brought their resources under agreement.

We continue to provide basic registry services to those with early registrations not under contract
(registry services including updates via ARIN Online, whois publication, reverse DNS, etc.) – and
have done so for more than 25 years – but our goal is equitable terms and fees for all of ARIN’s
customers.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran