ARIN Training & Education Initiatives

Bill Barnes bbarnes at internap.com
Wed Mar 21 18:05:11 EST 2001

Hi Bill -

	Thanks for the reply and suggestion about approaching the advisory
council.  Makes sense.  I want to understand the level of formality in the
process, if it exists, better than I may have in the past.  Obviously I
have an idea, and am exploring how I might submit that idea before going
to a list with details.

A question:

Are draft proposals under consideration or that have been submitted to the
advisory council available for viewing?  It might help me to find some
kindred spirits to co-present an idea, should something similar be under
discussion.

Based on past lurking, ideas are discussed on the appropriate list,
kindred spirits (or not so kindred) relay back and forth.  An item might
make it onto a meeting agenda, sponsored by an advisory council member or
wg/list chair?  If not there is an open business/other business portion of
the public meetings as I recall, where any new business can be brought up.
Enough interest in an idea will generate a BOF, or meeting/seminar at a
public meeting.  But not until the appropriate WG has discussed it on
line.  Something might then be submitted to the advisory council in
parallel to this process?  Sound about right?

I wonder if it would work best to send it to a list first, or bring it up
in the open part of a public meeting to see what interest there may
be.  Both would be in an effort to garner support for the idea and move
forward with a bonafide proposal for consideration by the advisory council.

Thanks again for the input/suggestions.

- Bill