Educating ISP customers

Susan Hamlin susanh at arin.net
Wed Feb 28 13:19:20 EST 2001

> Please refer to this subject thread, archived on the CLEW mailing list:
>
> CLEW Chairman Bill Darte provided a draft outline for a document that ISPs
> could use to educate their customers about IP address issues. This
> generated some limited discussion on the list.
>
> ARIN Member Services staff recently discussed this project, assigning it
> top priority from among the items CLEW discussed in October (see CLEW
> minutes: http://www.arin.net/minutes/wg/clew10032000.html ). ARIN
> technical writer Barry Skeenes will soon post a revised table of contents
> to the list for comment.
>
> Kim's suggestion that a CLEW subcommittee be formed to work on the
> document is an excellent idea. I am certain that Bill will summarize the
> discussion topics during the CLEW session in San Francisco, and will call
> for volunteers to help with the task.

NOTE: Within ARIN's "ISP Guidelines for Requesting Initial IP Address Space"
(http://www.arin.net/regserv/initial-isp.html), two subsections, entitled
"Providing Reassignment Information" and "Reassigning Address Space to
Customers," address the subject issue and should be referenced when a
downstream customer seeks advice about reassignment utilization from their
upstream ISP.

Susan Hamlin
Director, Member Services