Request for CLEW Input

Mirjam Kuehne mir at ripe.net
Wed Feb 28 03:52:20 EST 2001

Dear Howard,

Let me clarify the role and responsibilities of an LIR in the RIPE NCC
service region.

In order to receive registration services from the RIPE NCC an
organisation has to become a member. Once a member has received an
allocation from the RIPE NCC it takes over the role of an LIR. This
LIR is then responsibe for the address space allodated to it.

Every new LIR gets a so called assignment window (AW) of 0. That means
that the LIR needs to send all assignemnt requests to the RIPE NCC for
approval *before* the assignment is made. Once the LIR is more
familiar with the administrative procedures and more experienced with
assignment policies, the AW and therefor the LIR's responsibilities
are increased. All assignment requests that are outside the AW still
need to be sent to the RIPE NCC for approval.

When the LIR then comes back to the RIPE NCC for additional address
space, the RIPE NCC reviews the previously allocated address space.

At all times the LIR remains responsible for the address space it got
allocated by the RIPE NCC also in cases where it makes sub-allocations
to downstream ISPs.

The RIRs may have different membership models. However, I agree with
Richard in that the duties of the members are the same globally,
i.e. to ensure a responsible stewardship of IP address space.

Kind Regards,
Mirjam Kuehne
RIPE NCC

 "Howard C. Berkowitz" <hcb at clark.net> writes:
  * In one of my presentations to NANOG last week, the vast majority of
  * questions related to obtaining and justifying address space. In
  * particular, North American ISPs complained about how their requests
  * for their customers to justify assignments and usage were resented,
  * and how competitors' sales people often used that as a wedge "we'll
  * give you a /24, or whatever, if you change your service to us.  We
  * won't hassle you with all the paperwork the incumbent is demanding."
  *
  * This seems to be far less of a problem in Europe, and I'm beginning
  * to think the RIPE NCC model of LIR's (as distinct from generic
  * members) is part of the solution.  A LIR can present itself as a
  * steward of address space, much as a CPA or physician is expected to
  * exercise independent professional integrity.
  *
  * Frankly, I'm becoming less and less clear why someone becomes an ARIN
  * member other than generically supporting part of the Internet
  * structure. There's much more justification to become a RIPE LIR.
  *
  *
  * >  > Member Services is discussing what kind of increased benefits ARIN can
  * >>  offer its Members. One consideration is the reinstatement of a
  * >>  Members-only website for providing news, training and other items of
  * >>  interest to the Members.
  * >>
  * >>  What content would you like to see on this site?  Be specific please.
  * Are
  * >>  there items you would take off the public site and make available for u
  * se
  * >>  only by Members? A dynamic website could be useful not only to current
  * >>  Members, but also for bringing new entities into ARIN's membership.
  * >>
  * >>  Please consider this matter and send suggestions to the CLEW list in
  * >>  preparation for the upcoming Members Meeting.
  * >>
  * >Regards,
  * >
  * >Barry Skeenes
  * >Technical Writer
  * >AMERICAN REGISTRY FOR INTERNET NUMBERS
  * >bskeenes at arin.net
  * >703-227-9854
  *
  *