[Arin-whoisrws] Non-normalized ASNs and duplicate Customer objects

Ross Vandegrift ross at kallisti.us
Tue Jul 20 16:29:00 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 09:13:39AM -0400, Andy Newton wrote:
> However, when a network operator specifies an origin AS on a
> network, that AS number can come from any RIR.

Aha, of course.  Hadn't thought of that case - all of my origin AS
attributes are ARIN registered.  Makes perfect sense.

> However, we have kept the customer record separated out in the data
> model for the future possibility of re-using the same customer with
> multiple network reassignments.  Currently it is not possible to do
> this with the email templating registration system using simple
> reassignments, but we are looking into the possibility of allowing
> it in the new RESTful registration service that is in development.

Hmmm, yea, this would be pretty desirable in my mind - a unique
customer object that has appropriate references to all of the
associated resources.

> Thanks for your questions Ross.  I hope these answers help, and we
> are glad to hear that you are being quite successful with the code
> integration of Whois-RWS.

Definitely makes both points clear, thanks.  I was initially among the
skeptics for a move away from the traditional WHOIS.  I'm pretty much
sold.  Reusing customer objects for association purposes is the only
issue I've got so far, and it sounds like that's being worked on.

Ross

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at kallisti.us

"If the fight gets hot, the songs get hotter.  If the going gets tough,
the songs get tougher."
	--Woody Guthrie