[arin-tech-discuss] rwhois - %error 340 Invalid Authority Area

Ian Duncan iduncan at airband.com
Wed Aug 15 16:48:48 EDT 2012

Hi - I'm working on our RWHOIS server, and I'm running into an unexpected problem with it not recognizing one of the resources.

I populate all the files, and then reindex with the following command:
$ ./bin/rwhois_indexer -v -A 72.29.192.0/19 -C network -s txt

No errors are reported in the re-indexing process .. but when I try to test the server I get " %error 340 Invalid Authority Area":

---
Connected to localhost
Escape character is '^]'.
%rwhois V-1.5:003eff:00 rwhois.airband.net (by Network Solutions, Inc. V-1.5.9.5)
-xfer 72.29.192.0/19
%error 340 Invalid Authority Area
-soa 72.29.192.0/19
%error 340 Invalid Authority Area
---

Its strange because I'm having this problem with about half of our blocks.  We create the files/folders programmatically - and I'm having a tough time determining what might be different/wrong.

I've removed all blocks except for two to try to help narrow this down. One that works, and one that doesn't.
- 216.138.64.0/18 - works
- 72.29.192.0/19 - doesn't

If anyone has any experience with this problem or help or hints - any suggestions or assistance is welcome :)  Thanks -

- Ian