[arin-tech-discuss] FALSE vs. false on privateCustomer

Aaron Hughes aaronh at bind.com
Thu Sep 15 14:22:51 EDT 2011

So this one really frustrated me and figured I would share.

Incredibly, this doesn't work:  <privateCustomer>FALSE</privateCustomer>
but this does: <privateCustomer>false</privateCustomer>

This means it's not actually a TRUE v. FALSE (1 v. 0), it's a string. E.g. if you are, like I am, storing something like $private_customer = $row['residential_customer_privacy_enable'];, don't make it a boolean.

The error message is also misleading:

<additionalInfo><message>bad
character content for
element</message></additionalInfo><code>E_SCHEMA_VALIDATION</code><component
s/><message>The XML payload did not validate against the defined schema.
Please see the documentation for
details.</message></error>

Just a heads up to any of you who may run into this.

ARIN Dev,

If you change this to a boolean (as it likely should be, please make sure to account for both implementations as a string "false" might be considered "TRUE" in the boolean world.

Cheers,
Aaron

--

Aaron Hughes
aaronh at bind.com
+1-831-824-4161
Key fingerprint = AD 67 37 60 7D 73 C5 B7 33 18 3F 36 C3 1C C6 B8
http://www.bind.com/