[ARIN-Suggestions] Response to Suggestion 2014.26: SPARSE ALLOCATION APPORACH FOR IXP MICRO-ALLOCATIONS

ARIN info at arin.net
Fri Oct 17 15:03:44 EDT 2014

ARIN has issued its initial response to ACSP Suggestion 2014.26. The
suggestion and response text are provided below. This suggestion is now
closed and is available at:

https://www.arin.net/participate/acsp/suggestions/2014-26.html

Regards,

Communications and Member Services

****
Suggestion: *

That ARIN employ a sparse allocation approach for IXP assignments out of
micro allocation/CI IPv4 address space and at boundaries of /22. ARIN
should publicly document that fact on its website.

Value to Community: Prevents CI from having to repeatedly and
disruptively renumber when expanding.

*Response:*

ARIN currently has a /16 of IPv4 address space, in total, reserved for
micro-allocation purposes and has not used a sparse allocation method to
issue from it over the past several years. The currently reserved /16 is
made up of fragmented smaller blocks totaling a /16 for critical
infrastructure providers, including exchange points.

We have noted there is currently an active policy proposal to expand the
micro-allocation reserve block from a /16 to a /15. If the community
passes this as policy, we agree using a sparse allocation approach for
the newly reserved /16 would benefit IXP organizations. Therefore, we
commit to using a sparse allocation approach for issuing IPv4 addresses
from any newly reserved block set aside by the policy development
process for IXP organizations.