[ARIN-Suggestions] Response to Suggestion 2012.18 - Improve Request Submission Options

ARIN info at arin.net
Tue Nov 6 10:50:54 EST 2012

ARIN has issued its initial response to ACSP Suggestion 2012.18. The
suggestion and response text are provided below. This suggestion remains
open and is available at:

https://www.arin.net/participate/acsp/suggestions/2012-18.html

Regards,

Communications and Member Services

****
Suggestion: *

1. ARIN should not phase out the hostmaster at arin.net channel for
additional communication about requests. Ideally, restoring that as a
channel for request submission should be restored.

2. ARIN needs to provide much better tools for consultants to use to
work with their customers on ARIN resource requests. The need for these
better tools is a direct result of the conversion to ARIN on-line.

Prior to ARIN on-line, it was relatively easy to collaborate with my
clients because we could pass the request information around in email
and submit the template once it was finalized in the collaborative
process. Ticket responses via email could be easily forwarded to the
client and additional response information could be submitted to
hostmaster directly from email. This made for very convenient
integration between the client<--->consultant and consultant<--->ARIN
communication.

ARIN online has made the entire process unacceptably more time-consuming
and difficult.

One good step in the right direction would be to provide better
integration between hostmaster at arin.net and ARIN on-line. For example,
an email to hostmaster at arin.net containing attachments with a properly
formed Re: [ARIN-20121018-X2854] style header should have the email body
included in the ticket as the comments and the attached files treated as
if they had been uploaded through ARIN on-line without requiring
intervention from the RSHD staff, let alone requiring them to print the
attachments, then scan them and submit that back into the web form to
get it into ARIN on-line.

(If the above description of the process is inaccurate, then, RSHD
personnel I have spoken to are misinformed about the process because
that is how they described it to me).

*Response:*

I wanted to formally acknowledge your suggestion 2012.18: Improve
Request Submission Options. We will take your suggestions under
consideration as we complete ARIN's 2013 operating plan. Once the plan
is approved, we will follow back up with you on those items we plan to
implement in 2013. This suggestion will remain open.

Regards,

Nate Davis
Chief Operations Officer