[arin-ppml] Feedback on ARIN 53 question on micro-allocations for IXPs

Job Snijders job at fastly.com
Fri Apr 19 10:54:07 EDT 2024

On Thu, Apr 18, 2024 at 06:44:26PM -0400, Ryan Woolley wrote:
> IXPs do commonly have a desire to prevent their member LAN prefix from
> being routable.  The current best practice is that this prefix is
> signed in RPKI with an origin ASN of zero (as described in RFC 6483),
> and Community IX does this for both our IXPs’ member LANs.  To the
> extent that filtering based on IP addressing may have been
> contemplated in the past, is it now obsoleted by RPKI.

Agreed. RPKI offers a more granular approach, allowing IXP operators to
indicate exactly what the routing intentions are for (part of) the
space.

There isn't a 'one size fits all' approach here, indeed, *generally*
IXPs desire to prevent their member LAN prefix from being routed
publicly; but there are exceptions. But in all cases, IXPs will want to
signal the maximum prefix length for a given block, which RPKI enables
IXP operators to do.

I think there shouldn't be a hard rule about the space being publicly
routable or not, it is up to the individual IXP operators to decide what
technical approach is best for their stakeholder community.

Kind regards,

Job