[arin-ppml] LAST CALL - Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2017-12: Require New POC Validation Upon Reassignment

John Santos john at egh.com
Mon Apr 23 15:39:00 EDT 2018

On 4/23/2018 15:18, ARIN wrote:

> If the POC validates the request, the request shall be accepted by ARIN
> and the new objects inserted into Whois.  If the POC does not validate
> the request within 10 days, ARIN must reject the request.

I support this policy in principle.  However, I wonder if there is a
timing issue.  An ISP may have the procedure where they do all the
paperwork (including creating a POC and attempting to insert it into
WHOIS) before they actually turn on the customer's Internet service.  So
the customer's email address may not be valid or functional yet.  In
this sort of situation, ARIN would need to hold the POC validation for a
few days and try again.  In this case, 10 days might not be enough (POC
on vacation, etc.)  Or would the ISP be required to ensure the new POC
has a valid email address *before* submitting the reallocation or
reassignment?