[arin-ppml] Discussion on elimination of SWIP requirements.

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Sun Jun 4 11:28:44 EDT 2017

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 03, 2017 at 03:06:09PM -0700, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> if anything, the existing SWIP rules strengthened, rather than
> diluted, and, more importantly, would like to see them actually
> enforced someday.

By whom?  "Enforcement" implies that there is some authority that
really can make such things happen.  The Internet Cops.  The ITU.
"Law enforcement", whoever that is.  Someone.

I"n my opinion, it is fortunate for us that we do not have such a
body.  What we have are registries whose ability to "enforce" anything
largely depends on the interests of the enforced-upon, so that making
the Internet work in our shared and common interest is the real test
of the value of these policies.

I don't really care about the proposed policy one way or another -- I
just don't feel that strongly about it -- but one needs to be from
some other logically-possible world to imagine that there is any hope
of strengthening the SWIP rules, much less "enforcing" them.
"Enforcement" implies a power ARIN (and the other RIRs, for that
matter) does not actually have.  For the Internet does not allow for
such a locus of control, and if we tried to make it into a thing that
did allow for it we would find we no longer had an Internet.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com