[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2017-5: Equalization of Assignment Registration requirements between IPv4 and IPv6

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun Jul 16 22:38:48 EDT 2017

On 16 Jul 2017, at 8:46 PM, Paul McNary <pmcnary at cameron.net> wrote:

> Hello
> This is probably targeted to John and the ARIN staff
>
> I was reading some articles today. Under the current net privacy rules and proposed
> net neutrality rule making goes through or even if not, we are not allowed to put
> customer data in a publicly accessible  data base. I don't think we are even allowed
> to provide that information to a third party without our customer's written opt-in.
> You can only get the IP "address holder's" information because of the contract we
> have with ARIN where we give up that right of privacy. So you can make us give you
> that information but you can not force us to break the law, if the end user doesn't have a
> contract with ARIN. Even if we would SWIP a current /24 and their information is
> disclosed to a third party (ie ARIN) and the end user doesn't have a contract with
> ARIN, I think we are in violation of the Internet privacy rules as they are and have been.
>
> John, can you and the ARIN staff get a written clarification from FCC about this.
> It basically guts the privacy rule making if SWIP is performed on a customer
> who does not give written approval.
>
> What am I missing? The WISPA lawyers say we are still required to follow the
> Internet policy rule making.

Paul -

    ARIN obviously does not require you “to break the law”, but to be able to further
    pursue this matter we’re going to need a bit more information.

    Do you have a reference for the particular law or rulemaking proceeding that
    the WISPA lawyers assert is in conflict?   I would be happy to speak with them
    directly if that would help – email me appropriate contact information when you
    have a moment.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran