[arin-ppml] 2016-3 Revisited

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 12:44:07 EST 2017

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 8:46 AM, Jason Schiller <jschiller at google.com> wrote:

> David,
>
> TL;DR
> The policy says "one or more transfers up to the total size of their
> current ARIN IPv4 address holdings"
>
> My read suggests you can do one or many transfers within a two year window
> up to the amount approved.  There is no need to re-demonstrate utilization
> within the two year window so long as total specified transfer is less than
> a /16 or double your current holdings.
>
> Can you address the question of if "demonstrated growth of IPv4
> utilization of at least half of the amount of specified transfers" is
> acceptable to you as the sole anti-abuse provision, or if it is acceptable
> to you in addition to the 6 month restriction.
>
> --
>
> An organization has a /19.
> It has growing products, and wants another /19 for its 1 or 2 year need.
> It wants to avail itself of the new language.
> It show 80%+ utilization of its existing /19.
> It then gets blanket pre-approval for one or more transfers which total to
> a /19 over then next 2 years.
>
> Then it transfers one /20, then the other..
>
> OR
>
> It closes the deal with Buyer A first, and transfers at ARIN using the
> proposed language.
> That process yields
> 1. pre-authorization for a /19 equalivent of specified transfers
> 2. approval for the /20 which is deducted from the /19 pre-athorization
>

> Policy Text
> ---------------
>
> 8.5.7 Alternative Additional IPv4 Address Block Criteria
> In lieu of 8.5.5 and 8.5.6, organizations may qualify for additional IPv4
> address blocks by demonstrating 80% utilization of their currently
> allocated space. If they do so, they qualify to receive one or more
> transfers up to the total size of their current ARIN IPv4 address holdings,
> with a maximum size of /16.
>
> An organization may only qualify under 8.5.7 once every 6 months, unless
> they can also demonstrate growth of IPv4 utilization of at least half of
> the amount of specified transfers since the previous transfer
> pre-authorization or approval.

This works for me.  It removes my problems with the "every 6 months"
language: particularly, a small fast-growing company using 8.5.7 to double
their holdings from a /24 to a /23 might fully utilize the /23 and need
another /23 before 6 months is out.

> Some extra words in policy text for more clarity

I think the duplicate words added to the first sentence actually make it
less clear, so I would go with the simpler text above.

-Scott