[arin-ppml] Fraud Policy ?

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Fri Sep 30 09:15:38 EDT 2016

I got a policy question.   Well, a couple, actually.

For the time being it will be Best if I couch my question(s) in
terms of a hypothetical.

Assume, hypothetically, just for the sake of argument, that there
exists a valid legal entity `A' which has already performed all of
the appropriate formalities and rituals necessary to legitimately
obtain from ARIN some set of number resources.  Assume further
that at some later date, some other party `B' comes along and
fradulently pretends to be the legal entity `A' and by so doing,
obtains some additional number resources from ARIN.  (Assume also
that thereafter, party `B' does in fact makes use of these fradulently
obtained number resources.)

I would like to try to understand how existing ARIN policies might
bear on the above hypothetical scenario.  Specifically, I'd like to
obtain answers to the following:

1)  What sorts of documents, exactly, must either party `A' or party
`B' in the above scenario submit to ARIN in order to establish their
bona fides to ARIN's satisfaction?

2)  In a case such as the one described above, if it is later determined...
let's just say beyond a reasonable doubt... that party `B' has in fact
made one or more fradulent representations to ARIN staff, and by so
doing, party `B' has obtained from ARIN staff some finite non-zero
quanta of number resources, then which of the following actions must,
may, or will ARIN staff undertake in such a situation?  (I am asking
what the applicable current/existing formalized written policy demands
in such a circumstances.)

     a)  ARIN will report the fraud to law enforcement
     b)  ARIN will initiate civil legal action against party `B'
     c)  both of the above
     d)  none of the above

Regards,
rfg

P.S.  To me clear, it is not my desire to either generate or to participate
in any debate about what sorts of policies ARIN staff should actually
follow in such scenarios.  I believe that my own preferences are already
well known to almost everybody who knows me, and I doubt that I have the
capacity to change anyone's mind who hold a different view.  (For those
of you who do not know me, I'll just say that my personal preferences are
to have any and all parties caught engaging in such hanky panky hanged
at sunrise, and thereafter shot also, just to be on the safe side.  But
I respect any and all who hold a different view on this point.)