[arin-ppml] re-org question

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Sat Nov 5 20:47:10 EDT 2016

>> Michel Py wrote :
>> Re-numbering is NOT an option regardless of the incentive.

> Ronald F. Guilmette wrote :
> I don't want to distract from the point you were making, but I wonder if you might be so kind as to elaborate on the above assertion, e.g.
> for the benefit of those few poor ignorant sods on this list, such as myself, who might be largely or entirely ignorant of the issues and related difficulties.

I run the network for a foundry. Most of it is configured with static IPs, no DNS, and the hosts they talk to hard-coded in proprietary software. On top of it, half is inside a ISO class I cleanroom and runs 24/7/365.
It's a common situation with large infrastructures that are 20 or 30 years old. In the same room, I have 30 different gases and 30 different operating systems. Even if I wanted, I could not renumber.

Michel.