[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2016-5: Post-IPv4-Free-Pool-Depletion Transfer Policy

ARIN info at arin.net
Tue Jun 21 12:01:55 EDT 2016

On 16 June 2016 the ARIN Advisory Council (AC) advanced the following
Proposal to Draft Policy status:

ARIN-prop-230: Post-IPv4-Free-Pool-Depletion Transfer Policy

This Draft Policy has been numbered and titled:

Draft Policy ARIN-2016-5: Post-IPv4-Free-Pool-Depletion Transfer Policy

Draft Policy ARIN-2016-5 is below and can be found at:
https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2016_5.html

You are encouraged to discuss all Draft Policies on PPML. The AC will
evaluate the discussion in order to assess the conformance of this draft
policy with ARIN's Principles of Internet number resource policy as
stated in the Policy Development Process (PDP). Specifically, these
principles are:

	> Enabling Fair and Impartial Number Resource Administration
	> Technically Sound
	> Supported by the Community

The PDP can be found at:
https://www.arin.net/policy/pdp.html

Draft Policies and Proposals under discussion can be found at:
https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/index.html

Regards,

Communications and Member Services

##########

Draft Policy ARIN-2016-5: Post-IPv4-Free-Pool-Depletion Transfer Policy

Date: 21 June 2016

Problem Statement

Section 4 of the Number Policy Resource Manual was developed over the
past 15+ years primarily to conservatively manage the IPv4 number free
pool. Since the IPv4 free pool was depleted in 2015, the policies which
developed since ARIN's inception may now not be as relevant now that the
primary function of the registry, with regard to IPv4 numbers, is to
record transfers.

Since section 4 of the NRPM now contains many use cases that are not as
relevant, it makes sense to streamline the transfer process and to
specifically outline the criteria that should be used to process transfers.

Therefore, we propose the following rewrite of the transfer policy,
section 8 of the NRPM.

The goals of this rewrite are as follows:

 > Separate the criteria that is found in section 4 of the NRPM from the
transfer process.

 > Provide a clear set of criteria that should be applied across all
IPv4 transfers.

 > Lower the thresholds on utilization and future allocation size to
negate the necessity of the corner cases which are currently enumerated
in section 4 of the NRPM.

 > Reduce the complexity that is currently required for transfers, by
applying simpler utilization criteria for current usage, and future
allocation sizing.

Policy statement:

Add new section 8.5; update sections 8.2-8.4 as follows to reference 8.5.

######

8.2. Mergers, Acquisitions, and Reorganizations

ARIN will consider requests for the transfer of number resources in the
case of mergers, acquisitions, and reorganizations under the following
conditions:

 > The current registrant must not be involved in any dispute as to the
status of the resources to be transferred.

 > The new entity must sign an RSA covering all resources to be transferred.

 > The resources to be transferred will be subject to ARIN policies.

 > The minimum transfer size is the smaller of the original allocation
size or the applicable minimum allocation size in current policy.

 > For mergers and acquisition transfers, the recipient entity must
provide evidence that they have acquired assets that use the resources
to be transferred from the current registrant. ARIN will maintain an
up-to-date list of acceptable types of documentation.

ARIN will proceed with processing transfer requests even if the number
resources of the combined organizations exceed what can be justified
under current ARIN transfer policy as defined in section 8.5. In that
event, ARIN will work with the resource holder(s) to transfer the extra
number resources to other organization(s) or accept a voluntary return
of the extra number resources to ARIN.

8.3. Transfers between Specified Recipients within the ARIN Region

In addition to transfers under section 8.2, IPv4 numbers resources and
ASNs may be transferred according to the following conditions.

Conditions on source of the transfer:

 > The source entity must be the current registered holder of the IPv4
address resources, and not be involved in any dispute as to the status
of those resources.

 > The source entity must not have received a transfer, allocation, or
assignment of IPv4 number resources from ARIN for the 12 months prior to
the approval of a transfer request. This restriction does not include
M&A transfers.

Conditions on recipient of the transfer:

 > The recipients must meet the transfer requirements as defined in
section 8.5.

 > The resources transferred will be subject to current ARIN policies.

8.4. Inter-RIR Transfers to Specified Recipients

Inter-regional transfers may take place only via RIRs who agree to the
transfer and share reciprocal, compatible, needs-based policies.

Conditions on source of the transfer:

 > The source entity must be the current rights holder of the IPv4
address resources recognized by the RIR responsible for the resources,
and not be involved in any dispute as to the status of those resources.

 > Source entities outside of the ARIN region must meet any requirements
defined by the RIR where the source entity holds the registration.

 > Source entities within the ARIN region must not have received a
transfer, allocation, or assignment of IPv4 number resources from ARIN
for the 12 months prior to the approval of a transfer request. This
restriction does not include M&A transfers.

Conditions on recipient of the transfer:

 > The conditions on a recipient outside of the ARIN region will be
defined by the policies of the receiving RIR.

 > Recipients within the ARIN region must meet the transfer requirements
as defined in section 8.5.

 > Recipients within the ARIN region will be subject to current ARIN
policies.

8.5. Specified Transfer Recipient Requirements

8.5.1. Registration Services Agreement

Transfer recipients must sign an RSA for the resources being received.

8.5.2. Operational Use

ARIN allocates or assigns blocks of IP addresses to organizations via
transfer solely for the purpose of use on an operational network.

8.5.3. Minimum transfer size

ARIN's minimum transfer size is a /24.

8.5.4. Initial block

Organizations without direct assignments or allocations from ARIN
qualify for transfer of an initial block of ARIN's minimum transfer size.

8.5.5. Block size

Organizations may qualify for the transfer of a larger initial block, or
an additional block, by providing documentation to ARIN which details
the use of at least 50% of the requested block size within 24 months. An
officer of the organization shall attest to the documentation provided
to ARIN.

8.5.6. Efficient utilization of previous blocks

Organizations with direct assignments or allocations from ARIN must have
efficiently utilized at least 50% of every block in order to receive
additional space. This includes all space reassigned to their customers.

Comments:

Timetable for implementation: immediately

Anything else: A redline has been provided to help the community
understand the changes that have been made to the NRPM.