[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2016-1: Reserved Pool Transfer Policy

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 21:18:40 EDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 5:43 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> I’d be OK with this, but given that there is remaining free pool for these resources, I’m not sure that it isn’t better to have a clear policy that when the resources in these categories are no longer needed, voluntary return to ARIN is expected.

On Monday, there was discussion (during policy experience report)
about ARIN not being able to provide "theoretical" pre-qualifications
in the case where (in the example) you transfer a /16 to someone,
and would want to get a /24 from somewhere else.  And while most
steeped in the ARIN process understand that qualifying is an almost
certainty, that does not take it to the level some seem to need to feel
entirely comfortable.

As far as this proposal, I can imagine there to be cases were a transfer
may only make sense if the receiving org can be assured that they will
be able to get the IP numbers from a reserved pool which ARIN cannot
make assurance on in advance.  And while (as before) everyone may be
(almost) 100% sure that the recipient will qualify, that does not always
make everyone sufficiently comfortable.

It would seem to be nice for a 8.3 transfer which happens to include
reserved pool space not turn into another policy experience report
bullet for not being able to successfully transfer (worst case?) "CI"
space if indeed the recipient would otherwise qualify (and potentially
force a renumber of such resources for no particular policy reason).

I do agree with Owen that these cases are unlikely.  And regardless
of whether the (what I think is) better language as proposed by Scott
is included, I would support the policy moving forward to address
the problem statement.