[arin-ppml] 2-byte ASN policy

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 20:46:54 EDT 2016

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 4:24 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

> On Apr 6, 2016, at 4:17 PM, Bill Buhler <bill at tknow.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the clarification John,
> >
> > So I understand you, regarding IPv4 you are recycling the deadbeat
> resources already.
> >
> > My impression though is that you aren’t doing the same with 2-byte ASN?
> I think it would be good policy to begin reclamation of those resources.
>
> We are recycling ASN’s that are returned - after the hold period we
> confirm that
> they’re not in active routing and then will reissue if someone makes an
> explicit
> request for a 2-byte ASN.

If a 2-byte ASN comes available and no one immediately requests an explicit
2-byte ASN, will you reissue the 2-byte ASN to the next non-explicit ASN
requester (who presumably would be just as happy with a 4-byte ASN), or do
you keep the 2-byte ASN in inventory until the next explicit 2-byte ASN
request?

-Scott