[arin-ppml] 2-byte ASN policy

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue Apr 5 01:43:30 EDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 11:56 PM, Seth Mattinen <sethm at rollernet.us> wrote:

> If the ASN gets legitimately issued to someone else and the squatter
> proceeds to hijack it from the legitimate registrant they should be turned
> off if the ISP is going to do the right thing according to whois.
>
> ~Seth

If you forgot to pay your bill and ARIN reissues your ASN, it's a matter of
perspective who the hijacker is.

I'm not saying it's OK to not pay your bill, but how punitive should we be
asking ARIN staff to be?  Especially, if ARIN staff has every reason to
believe the organization using the ASN is the original registrant?  And if
we the internet routing community are not will to be the bad guys and stop
routing it after ARIN staff signals us by removing it from the registry.
When what are we really expecting?

We're not being very forthright, if we ask ARIN staff to break things that
we the internet routing community are not will to break ourselves.

Do we really need to recycle these ASN bad enough to cause intentional
breakage?  Then we need to stop using them in the internet routing system!

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952