[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2015-9: Eliminating needs-based evaluation for Section 8.2, 8.3, and 8.4 transfers of IPv4 netblocks

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 16:26:06 EDT 2015

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 11:46 PM, Richard J. Letts <rjletts at uw.edu> wrote:

> b)
> There is no definitive outcome from the policy change, which makes me feel
> that it's not worth changing -- the problem statement argument is weak at
> best.
>
> It is potentially enabling organizations with more money than need gain
> more resources, potentially at the expense of non-profit and educational
> organizations who might not be able to raise cash for additional IPv4 space
> [or equipment to support a transition to IPv6]. Changing policy just to
> (potentially) improve the accuracy of a database seems not worth the
> (potential) risk.

If they can't raise capital to acquire the addresses they're out of the
game regardless of this proposal being policy or needs ascertainment in
general. One could argue that lifting the burden on smaller and larger
networks alike provide for wider benefit and ease of access, sans capital,
to the addresses. You might be able to argue that hoarding would limit
supply and increase cost, but I can tell you that the vast majority of
business is not going to spend money speculating on address need. Kinda not
how business works.

It is in fact ARINs job to maintain a reliable and accurate directory. The
proposal seems to line up perfectly from that perspective.

Best,

-M<