[arin-ppml] Support for 2015-5 (Expand permitted out-of-region use of IPv4 space)

David Huberman David.Huberman at microsoft.com
Tue Sep 15 17:34:45 EDT 2015

Hi Bill,

I agree with what you've written and its implications.  The time for RIRs being anything other than local language/time/etc is passed, in my humble opinion.

But here's the problem: I do not believe LACNIC would agree with such a policy. Right now they're debating allowing an inter-RIR transfer policy that ONLY allows inbound transfers; it disallows space from leaving the region.   A two-way policy is a non-starter.  (And the one-way policy is facing stiff opposition.)

So if you believe me - if you believe a global policy cannot be passed right now because at least one RIR won't agree to it - what do we do here in the ARIN region, where ARIN staff are applying policy in a way which restricts use? Staff have told us they need a policy change to do anything.

Thanks
/david

David R Huberman
Principal, Global IP Addressing