[arin-ppml] Support for 2015-5 (Expand permitted out-of-region use of IPv4 space)

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Tue Sep 15 16:19:25 EDT 2015

On 9/15/2015 12:50 PM, William Herrin wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 3:14 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> There has been significant misunderstanding around this policy proposal.
> This proposal is a turkey, Owen. It doesn't do an adequate job of what
> any of us want it to do, whether for or against out-of-region use.
>
> It should be abandoned. If further work on out-of-region use policy is
> desired, consider pursuing a globally coordinated proposal that would
> facilitate global use in a fair and expansive manner.

It might be a turkey, but the real problem is that RIRs decided, on
their own, that the Internet wasn't global in nature. Why do we need
globally coordinated policy to acknowledge something that was true long
before they came into being?

There has never, ever, been a technical reason why I couldn't use IPv4
addresses allocated to me anywhere I wanted, including in space.

Matthew Kaufman