[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2015-2: Modify 8.4 (Inter-RIR Transfers to Specified Recipients)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed May 27 14:06:07 EDT 2015

On May 27, 2015, at 12:17 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 10:06 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>> You have a reasonable argument for why there should be globally-coordinated
>> policy in this area.   If you need any assistance when developing your proposal,
>> please reach out to the ARIN Advisory Council for assistance.  Ultimately, it is up
>> to the globally community whether a globally uniform transfer policy is desirable.
>
> Hi John,
>
> Respectfully, we have barely a weak consensus, if that, on what the
> transfer policies should be within the region.

That may be the case.

> There is wide disagreement as to whether transfers should have any form of needs
> testing save for the movement of tender. In that environment it makes sense to pursue
> globally coordinated consensus on transfer policies?   Surely you jest.

Bill -

   You indicated that the present state was distinctly worse that having globally
   coordinated policy; I pointed out that the community had the ability to define
   globally coordinated policy if desired (and offered you assistance if needed.)

   If the community cannot come together in consensus on globally coordinated
   policy, then your observation about the present state being worse than a global
   policy approach doesn’t really matter, and you can disregard my note.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO