[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2015-2: Modify 8.4 (Inter-RIR Transfers to Specified Recipients)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue May 26 19:11:06 EDT 2015

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 6:53 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>    I was pointing out that the mission of ARIN can be quite large if the
>    community desires such, but it is important to remember that the
>    Regional Internet Registry system (whose origins one can find in
>    RFC 1174) came about in order to scale operational assignment
>    and registration on an international basis, i.e. -
>
>    The regionalization is not "flags of convenience” situation; it was
>    intended to “further the Internet” in the operation of the overall registry.
>    Furthermore,  the RIR system was not intended as a mechanism  for
>    the creation of different policy among the regions; that happened as
>    new policy was created (such as the transfer policies) on a regional
>    basis.

Hi John,

If that's what you truly believe and the rest of the RIR leadership
agrees with your viewpoint, may I respectfully suggest that you
collectively task the NRO with creating a uniform policy and policy
process to replace the regional policies and process we have now.

This is one of those things where the middle ground compromise is
distinctly worse than either pole. Either act regionally with policies
and address pools for use within the region or act globally with
policies and address pools for use worldwide. The middle ground lends
itself only to unfair advantage for multinational operators who can
shop multiple regions for advantage.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us