[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2015-2: Modify 8.4 (Inter-RIR Transfers to Specified Recipients)

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue May 26 16:53:37 EDT 2015

On Tue, 26 May 2015, Seth Mattinen wrote:

> On 5/26/15 13:30, David Huberman wrote:
>>> Why is another region's policy problem or restrictions something that
>>> needs
>> Two answers:
>>
>> Because ARIN-region networks, subject to ARIN's NRPM, need to be able to
>> move IP addresses out of region where and when they're needed.
>> AND
>> Because ARIN policy currently prohibits staff from counting out-of-region
>> use as part of justification for a request.
>>

> If I am to take an ARIN centric approach I have to ask why I should care
> about problems in other regions that sound like they could solved by
> requesting resources from that region.

If you were an ARIN member operating a global network, you probably
wouldn't feel that way.  I'd argue "many" who do so, but I only have
first-hand knowledge of a few ARIN members who do so, prefer as much as
possible to deal with one RIR (one set of rules/regulations to keep up
with, common language and currency) for their IP space needs.