[arin-ppml] Fraud reporting question

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 22:34:22 EDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 6:11 PM, Richard Jimmerson <richardj at arin.net>
wrote:

>  Hello Adam,
>
>  Thank you for submitting these questions about fraud reporting.
>
>  We have found the fraud reporting system to be very helpful over the
> past few years. We receive many different types of fraud reports through
> this system. Some of them have helped ARIN begin investigations that have
> resulted in both the recovery of falsely registered resources and the
> denial of some IPv4 requests that might have otherwise been issued
> resources.

According to the fraud results page, ~2% (of 146) resulted in further
investigation.

 That''s a problem. Either. There is no real fraud or, ARIN is powerless to
deal with it. The last time ARIN updated the "Results" page appears to be
September 2014 based on the last noted ticket number of ARIN-20140929-F1760.

Some sort of additional resources like a FAQ on what might or might not be
out of scope could help to reduce the amount of baseless submissions as
well as additional questions on the form that if selected nack a report. If
staff isn't going to keep the page updated why keep it at all?

Best,

-M<