[arin-ppml] 2015-2

Steven Ryerse SRyerse at eclipse-networks.com
Thu Jun 4 16:50:15 EDT 2015

I do understand their concerns and obviously I disagree with needs testing.   What is really needed is size testing to match the size of the block allocations to the size of the organization, as I’ve mentioned many times before.  Needs testing, with IPv4 run out pretty much here, is just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

With IPv4 run out the pace of blocks being sold outside of ARIN is likely to increase and with current policy the Registry database keeps becoming more and more inaccurate.

It is a fact that Legacy blocks are being sold outside ARIN.   Assuming I agreed that needs testing is important that just leaves this community two options:

                The Bad option is: When a Legacy block sells Outside ARIN without needs testing but with reasonable documentation and verification provided to ARIN (which could be defined in an ARIN policy) the Registry info could be updated.

                The Worse option is:  When a Legacy block sells Outside ARIN without needs testing but with reasonable documentation and verification the Registry info won’t be updated.

So the real life choice (short of a law being passed or a Judge making a decision) for folks that want Needs testing, is to take the Bad option or take the Worse option.

If the Registry does matter to this community then the Bad option is slightly better than the Worse option.  If Registry accuracy doesn’t matter then we should just change ARIN’s mission to not care about keeping the Registry accurate and all live with that, as Legacy blocks will keep getting sold outside of ARIN.

So John, is keeping the Registry as accurate as it can be important or not?

Steven L Ryerse
President
100 Ashford Center North, Suite 110, Atlanta, GA  30338
770.656.1460 - Cell
770.399.9099 - Office
770.392-0076 - Fax

        Conquering Complex Networks℠