[arin-ppml] 2015-2

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Jun 4 12:03:56 EDT 2015

On Jun 4, 2015, at 10:37 AM, David Huberman <David.Huberman at microsoft.com> wrote:

> Yes RD. I can think of two interesting (and very different) scenarios where this plays out every day:
>
> 1) Companies either abandon transfer requests with ARIN, or they don't even submit them.  ARIN staff have done good work addressing the former, in hopes it will remedy the latter.  But there are thousands of block registrations in ARIN Whois which are not accurate, and which have been reported to ARIN as transferred, but remain in the wrong name.

David -

   A quick survey of abandoned request count would lead me to believe there are indeed
   hundreds, but not thousands.   It’s also worth noting that some of these requests were
   from parties that were not actually be the address holder, as we’ve had both cases of
   intentional misappropriation as well as incidental misappropriation attempted (e.g.  a
   sys/network admin attempts to assert their claim over address block of an a defunct
   company, only to find out that there is a legal successor firm who is the rightful holder)

   As Bill Woodcock noted, we’re not here to just document infrafractions - we serve as
   the registry of record to protect the rights of those who are the actual address holder,
   and have had cases where our denial of improperly documented transfers has allowed
   the correct party to later update and have continued use of the number resources.

> 2) Many companies (including big internet names you use every day) have already bought IPv4 addresses (or “the first right of refusal” and other types of contracts) for the future needs beyond 2 years.

  Are you proposing that ARIN register such contracts?   These do not seem to be
  within the scope of our mission, and these sorts of contracts would realistically
  exist in any case for some business situations.    If you want to see less of them,
  them let’s change policy.  If you are proposing that ARIN somehow get involved
  in registering such contracts, I personally believe it to lie beyond the scope of the
  organization (although I have not spoken with the Board on that particular matter)

> Big companies have locked up their /8s. ARIN won’t process those transfers.  The IP address registrations remain in legacy holders’ names, even though the legacy holders have sold them off.

  That certainly has occurred for some, and yet others have processed their transfers
  in accordance with registry policy and the new address holder is properly listed in
  Whois as expected (just look at the subdivided blocks in the transfer statistic log for
  evidence of same.)

Thanks!
/John

John Curran