[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML 2015-2

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Jun 1 17:11:06 EDT 2015

On Jun 1, 2015, at 5:01 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 4:33 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>> If you provide an actual citation of such a finding,
>> it should be fairly easy to find the language to that effect in the judgement.
>
> Let me put this another way: If I were to find an ISP willing to let
> me announce 199.43.0.0/24, how long do you think it would take ARIN
> counsel to figure out what to sue us for?

Bill -

   It’s quite possible that there are already parties announcing that block
   in locations throughout the Internet, but the vast majority of ISPs seem
   to follow the routing information from ARIN's peering and contracted
   transit providers.

   Ultimately, these matters are resolved based on mutual cooperation
   and a shared fabric of trust; while the registry may be an important
   common element of that fabric, that is still not the same thing as a
   legal right against the parties who participate.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO