[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal Idea: Reassignment records for IPv4 End-Users

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Jul 14 17:06:55 EDT 2015

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015, Andrew Dul wrote:

> Template: ARIN-POLICY-PROPOSAL-TEMPLATE-3.0
>
> 1.    Policy Proposal Name: Reassignment records for IPv4 End-Users
>
> 4.    Problem Statement:
>
> End-User Organizations do not have the ability to create reassignment records
> in the number resource database.
>
> Reassignment records can be used for a number of different functions which
> could benefit the overall desire to increase database accuracy by allowing
> organizations to add additional details in the database.
>
> The following reasons have been noted as positive reasons to allow the
> creation of additional records.
> -    Geolocation (allows an organization to specify a different location
> within the database which is used by organizations creating geo-location by
> IP address databases)
> -    Subsidiary reassignment (allows an organization to note that a portion
> of their netblock is in use by a different subsidiary entity)

I think it is inevitable (or is it already happening?) that some end-users
with unused space will decide to act as LIRs.  I think its in everyone's
best interest that they be able to SWIP.

If these end-user LIRs want to be able to SWIP their customer blocks,
should they have to convert their assignments to allocations (and pay the
likely much larger annual fee(s))?