[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2015-5: Out of region use

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jul 1 16:07:14 EDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 3:32 PM, Heather Schiller
<heather.skanks at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for your feedback. It would be useful to the AC and the authors if
> you could site the specific language that causes your concern, so that we
> can work to improve it.  We would also welcome suggestions for
> modifications.

Hi Heather,

As near as I can figure, it's the whole darn thing. Pick a sentence,
put it in quotes and ask, "What the heck does that mean?"

For example:

"Demonstrating that the entity raises investment capital from
investors in the ARIN region."

What the heck does that mean? Does it mean that if as a citizen of the
Commonwealth of Virginia I own a single share of ChinaCorp, then
ChinaCorp can register ARIN addresses for use in China? Maybe I don't
have to, it's good enough that the Chinese ambassador residing in D.C.
own a single share.

How are staff supposed to assess whether an organization meets such an
impossibly vague criteria?

Frankly, I think the idea of expansively enumerating the situations in
which addresses may be used outregion is unworkable and should be
abandoned.

If we want addresses to be blithely usable on a global basis, there
are right ways and wrong ways to go about it. This is one of the wrong
ways. A right way would be globally standardizing the address
registration and transfer process, policies and address pools. No more
regionality to IPv4 at any level, just multiple staffs following
identical rules for access to the same assets.

If we want regional policy control, that should and must include
regional use constraints. That means address use outregion only where
such use is strictly incidental to the in-region use. Number both
sides of the New York to London link out of ARIN addresses, but the
London office gets its addresses from RIPE.

Regards.
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us