[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2014-6: Remove Operational Reverse DNS Text (was: Remove 7.1) - revised

ARIN info at arin.net
Mon Jan 26 12:37:44 EST 2015

ARIN-2014-6 has been revised. This draft policy is open for discussion
on this mailing list and will be on the agenda at the upcoming ARIN
Public Policy Consultation at NANOG 63 in San Antonio.

ARIN-2014-6 is below and can be found at:
https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2014_6.html

Regards,

Communications and Member Services

## * ##

Date: 21 January 2014

Problem Statement:

7.1 attempts to assert rules on rDNS management at ARIN. It fails to do
so because it only addresses in-addr.arpa (missing equally important
rules in ip6.arpa). It's also not based on any RFC; it's an arbitrary
decision made by ARIN technical staff. We should remove this text from
policy, as it represents operational practice rather than ARIN number
policy.

In feedback received at public policy meetings and on the PPML mailing
list, the Community expressed a desire for IPv4 and IPv6 policy on
reverse DNS to be congruent (that is to say, it makes no sense to remove
7.1 without addressing 6.5.6 which is similarly operationally
prescriptive) and bring this proposal forward again.

Policy statement:

Remove 7.1

Remove 6.5.6

Comments:

a.Timetable for implementation: Immediate

b.Anything else:

7.1. Maintaining IN-ADDRs

All ISPs receiving one or more distinct /16 CIDR blocks of IP addresses
from ARIN will be responsible for maintaining all IN-ADDR.ARPA domain
records for their respective customers. For blocks smaller than /16, and
for the segment of larger blocks smaller than /16, ARIN can maintain
IN-ADDRs.

6.5.6. Reverse lookup

When an RIR delegates IPv6 address space to an organization, it also
delegates the responsibility to manage the reverse lookup zone that
corresponds to the allocated IPv6 address space. Each organization
should properly manage its reverse lookup zone. When making an address
assignment, the organization must delegate to an assignee organization,
upon request, the responsibility to manage the reverse lookup zone that
corresponds to the assigned address.