[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2014-20: Transfer Policy Slow Start and Simplified Needs Verification

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Sep 22 22:53:19 EDT 2014

On Sep 22, 2014, at 1:05 PM, David Huberman <David.Huberman at microsoft.com> wrote:
> No one participating in the RIR system should be prevented from doing any
> bona fide transfer.  In the 8.3 world, network operators must be free to buy
> and sell IP addresses as it fits their business plans.

David -

  The above premise implies a policy regime which must always confirm that
  any transfer of IPv4 space is warranted based on some corresponding needs-
  assessment of "business plans"...

  Given that these forward-looking plans can change, what exactly is the
  value in confirming that the transfer size "fits" with the particular
  plans?  What function is served by doing so?

> If we can agree on that, can
> we agree that any mechanism which forces a company to do multiple transfers
> or buy multiple blocks is a disservice to the community?

  By any mechanism, do you mean like something such as a "24-month planning
  horizon"?  To put any limit on amount that can be transferred based on a
  specific planning horizon will always result in multiple transfers over a
  longer period.  Is that a disservice to the community?

>> Do you see (per the proposal intent) any opportunities for simplification of present
>> transfer policy, either by changing the existing proposal or otherwise?
>
> I'm not going to say yes or not, wrt 2014-20.  I don't know yet.

  Many have advocated elimination of needs-assessment for transfers (and
  2014-20 appears to do that for several situations); it seems conflicted
  to argue for less hurdles for transfers, but also that transfers should
  be sized to "fit business plans", i.e. committing ARIN and requestors
  to time-intensive scrutiny of business and technical plans, as occurs in
  the course of needs-assessment.

FYI,
/John

John Curran