[arin-ppml] 2014-14 Transfer Statistics analysis

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Thu Oct 9 11:01:15 EDT 2014

On 10/9/14, 7:53 AM, Seth Mattinen wrote:

> Now for my editorial. I know there's people that want to see needs-based
> keep getting harder and more nitpicky tedious, and I used to be one of
> them. But I'm at the point where all these policies are becoming
> tedious. Policy is what got us here. ARIN's free pool is practically
> done. Are we going to keep making policies to make it harder and harder
> to get space so it requires a bonafide miracle to actually get it? Vast
> amounts of space are already tied up through private agreements whether
> ARIN allows its whois to be updated or not. IPv4 space that's already
> been doled out is out, time let it go instead of trying to get a dying
> grasp on our precious as it falls into the fires of Mount Doom.

Before someone says "oh but you opposed other policy that removed needs
based requests": I still oppose removing needs-based requirements on
requests to ARIN from ARIN's free pool. I do support allowing a one time
or once every 2 years needs-free *transfer* up to /16-18 for reasons
already stated.

~Seth