[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2014-16: Section 4.10 Austerity Policy Update

Andrew Dul andrew.dul at quark.net
Tue May 27 11:31:16 EDT 2014

As the primary author of this draft policy, I support the policy.

This draft policy replaces the current section 4.10 "transition
technology" allocations with a more generic "austerity policy" which
more closely aligns with other RIR's austerity policies.

This policy does the following:

1. Changes the requirements to be non-technology IPv6 specific, which
allows for a broader group of organizations to qualify for IPv4 address
space under this section.
2. Increases the block size to a maximum /22
3. Uses sparse allocation and permits an organization to possibly grow
their allocation up to a /22, if they don't qualify for the full block
on their initial allocation.
4. Places additional IANA reclaimed blocks into this pool for allocation.
5. Limits the number of blocks per organization to one; this directly
mirrors other successful RIR austerity policies.

I believe this policy along with recommended draft policy "ARIN-2014-13:
Reduce All Minimum Allocation/Assignment Units to /24" solve many of the
immediate IPv4 policy issues that ARIN will face after the free pool is
depleted.  Therefore, I recommend this policy be moved forward as
quickly as possible.

I and the AC welcome your comments on this draft.

Andrew