[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-208 Reduce All Minimum Allocation/Assignment Units to /24

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue May 6 02:49:38 EDT 2014

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 2:10 AM, Kevin Blumberg <kevinb at thewire.ca> wrote:
> Do you support the substantive changes in this policy?

I support Owen's original policy with the minor tweaks to deal with
the couple of things he missed.

I do not support the policy as rewritten. The rewrite is, I believe,
egregious and harms prospects for further policy development based on
the distinction between multihomed and singlehomed.

> Are there any suggestions you might have to fix the issue that doesn't leave duplicate text in the NRPM?

Intentionally leave the duplicate text in the NRPM and pursue further
policy development from there. If there isn't any further policy
development you can come back and collapse it in a cleanup next year.

Eliminating the distinction between singlehomed and multihomed
entities was not the purpose of Owen's policy proposal and is, in my
opinion, a bad idea.  Leave the distinction in place so that when we
re-examine multihomed versus singlehomed in light of the new minimums
we don't have to re-create it from the whole cloth with all the
attendant trouble that will cause.

Seriously, look beyond the immediate policy proposal before you
consider ripping out huge chunks of the NRPM. It took a long time and
a lot of debate to craft that language. Don't throw it away until
we're sure we won't need it again.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004