[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2014-12: Anti-hijack Policy

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Thu Mar 27 18:45:33 EDT 2014

>> 11.7 Resource Allocation Guidelines
>>
>> The Numbering Resources requested come from the global Internet Resource
>> space, do not overlap previously assigned space,

_Previously_ assigned space, or _currently_ assigned space?

Like David, I’m struggling to understand what problem is being solved here.  Is this a passive-aggressive accusation that ARIN double-allocated the same space at the same time?  Or a complaint that ARIN allocated space that someone was already illegitimately using?

If the former, that’s an implementation issue, and a very serious one, and doesn’t need to be addressed through policy, it needs to be addressed through process.  If the latter, it’s a whine by someone who’s doing the wrong thing and got caught, and certainly doesn’t merit any new policy.

                                -Bill