[arin-ppml] About needs basis in 8.3 transfers

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Thu Jun 5 16:28:01 EDT 2014

Bill,

On Jun 4, 2014, at 8:58 PM, Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net> wrote:
> The difference between a legal market and an illegal market is [...] that society has deemed one to be in the common good and the other detrimental.

This is only true if you believe "society" has determined "common good" appropriately and universally. As I'm sure you're aware, in many cases, the definition of legal vs. illegal boils down to what supports the interests of those in power, not necessarily the interests of the larger society or even "common good". I believe one of the arguments being made is that ARIN's current policies are not reflective of what the larger society actually wants and/or is in the "common good".

> Your argument that ARIN needs to step out of the way of the human slaves market, recognize its validity, and duly record the transfers of those slaves, because Ayn Rand, is idiotic.

Do you really believe your statement above follows your demand that "we need to behave like adults"?

> we don’t want our power to self-regulate removed.

ARIN was established as a registry. That is, an entity that records registration information for the resources it administers on behalf of the community it serves. In order to provide that service, ARIN has created a rather Byzantine (IMHO) policy definition mechanism. However, that policy definition mechanism exists solely to regulate the provision of ARIN's registry services. Nothing more, nothing less. In my view, if ARIN's policy definition mechanism, driven by a vocal but tiny minority of the community it serves, creates policies that are detrimental to the very reason ARIN was established, then its power to "self-regulate" _should_ be removed.

Regards,
-drc