[arin-ppml] About needs basis in 8.3 transfers

David Miller dmiller at tiggee.com
Thu Jun 5 11:55:22 EDT 2014

On 06/05/2014 08:26 AM, Mike Burns wrote:
> David said: The full phrase I used was "legitimization of this market on an
> unlimited scale" and it was intentional.
>
> "unlimited" as intentionally used, then, is a straw man argument in the
> context of 2014-14.
> https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2014_14.html

Agreed.

> Which to be fair to David, his comment did not appear in this context,
> but 2014-4 was the genesis for this discussion.

Correct.  My comment was not made wrt 2014-14.

The start of this thread was David Huberman's post which included,
"Wouldn’t it be better if ARIN rules allowed us to transfer into our
name all the IP addresses which we now own?".  I take this to mean
unlimited, instead of what is proposed in 2014-14.

^^ Not an attempt to misquote David Huberman or take his quote out of
context, please read the entire original post.

> 2014-14 does not open an unlimited market and so David'so other
> references towards speculation and hoarding which may apply to an
> unlimited market do not apply to 2014-14.

I agree that 2014-14 does not open an unlimited market.

However, to be clear, I have never stated (and it is not my view) that
*only* an unlimited market would cause concerns regarding speculation
and hoarding.

> Regards,
> Mike Burns

-DMM