[arin-ppml] About needs basis in 8.3 transfers

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Jun 4 20:27:19 EDT 2014

On Jun 4, 2014, at 7:52 PM, Joe Provo <ppml at rsuc.gweep.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 04:25:12PM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
>>>
>>> Matthew Kaufman
>>>
>>> ps. I'd also note that "policy that expresses the general intent of the community" may in fact *be* policy that lets post-runout transfers be performed without a needs test, as "the community" consists of a lot more than "Owen?.
>>
>> Indeed, it does. However, many people have also repeatedly stood
>> up in defense of needs basis, so singling me out as if I am the
>> lone supporter of preserving needs basis is as specious as many of
>> your other arguments.
>
> Speaking for myself here on PPML as I've done since the list got spun
> up, I can shockingly say "I agree with Owen".
>
> See the PPC transcript for what I and my colleagues had to say about
> the proposal, which was amusingly based on an utterly false problem
> statement.
>
> If we need to streamline the needs evaluation, that's a different
> kettle of fish. Throwing it out is a mistake.

Joe -

  Could you briefly explain how/why the presence of the needs-test
  is important?  Is this based on concern of non-network operators
  engaging in market activities (presumably detrimental), or based
  potential of well-funded network operators depleting the supply
  of blocks for transfer, or ...

  (I can think of several possibilities, but it would be good for
  those on the list to know some of the reasoning behind your
  stated concern.)

Thanks!
/John

John Curran