[arin-ppml] ARIN 2014-13

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sat Jul 19 16:12:36 EDT 2014

On Jul 19, 2014, at 3:52 PM, Brett Frankenberger <rbf+arin-ppml at panix.com> wrote:

> However, let's consider a provider whose justification is right on the
> border between a /23 and a /22.  Depending on interpretation, it could
> go either way.  If you gave the justification to 20 qualified analysts,
> 10 +/- 2 of then would say "a /23 is justified"; 10 +/- 2 of them would
> say "a /22 is justified".

Brett -

Actually, the analysts first work to determine the prior run rate of address utilization
so two analysts get the same numerical result if given the same supporting information by
the requesters. This has been confirmed many times, when requests that are appealed get
calculated again by our COO and myself, and the calculation is independent of request
size.  Once we have the run rate, it is extrapolated out 3 months as required by NRPM
4.2.2 allocation policy to see if request is warranted.

It is possible that parties who can now receive a /24 will obtain a smaller block than
they would if they otherwise waited, but that result obviously that is a choice on the
part of the requester.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran