[arin-ppml] support for 2014-1 (out of region use)

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Feb 7 19:40:11 EST 2014

On 2/7/14, 16:49 , William Herrin wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 9:41 AM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> If I had my druthers, the policy would be simply this:
>
> "ARIN prohibits any use of ARIN-assigned number resources which is:
> (A) wholly and unambiguously within another RIR's region and
> (B) more than incidental to an ARIN-region infrastructure."
>
> It's concise, it's clean, and it says everything that should be said
> on the subject.

Personally I'd be fine with this for IPv4, however this would put many
currently operating networks in violation of policy.  How do you resolve
that?  what about legacy space? Do you want them to transfer the
resources they are currently using out of region to the other RIRs as
appropriate?  Then we will run into the issues surrounding ARIN-2014-2.

Now IPv6, this means multinational companies will need separate
allocations from each RIR that they function within that RIR's region.
It will be common for most multinational companies to need 3 or 4
separate allocations then, that will bloat the IPv6 route table.  In
IPv6 we are trying to minimize the number of non-aggregatable prefixes
allocated, that is why we are doing sparse allocation for IPv6.

I suppose, you could allow big allocation from one RIR, and then hove
them transfer part to the other RIRs, but if you do that why not just
allow it to be registered at the allocating RIR and be done with it.

It's a nice simple statement, but it doesn't work.

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952