[arin-ppml] support for 2014-1 (out of region use)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Feb 7 17:49:08 EST 2014

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 9:41 AM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
> Draft policy 2014-1 attempts to solve a problem left over from last year.

Howdy,

As I understood the staff problem, it was that out-region
organizations were creating in-region straw-man companies to register
addresses for use outside the region. During the discussion this
turned in to a more general referendum on whether ARIN should be
supplying addresses to the world or just to its region.

If I had my druthers, the policy would be simply this:

"ARIN prohibits any use of ARIN-assigned number resources which is:
(A) wholly and unambiguously within another RIR's region and
(B) more than incidental to an ARIN-region infrastructure."

It's concise, it's clean, and it says everything that should be said
on the subject.

I don't know if it's wise or unwise to have REGIONAL internet
registries, but so long as we do I think it inappropriate for one
region to UNILATERALLY serve as a registry to the world.

For better or for worse, I was shouted down. Many of the voting folks
here have broadly deployed ARIN addresses throughout their
multinational infrastructure and don't care to be scolded for it.
Others have used straw man companies in their own operations to
overcome the intersection of their internal bureaucracy and the arcane
strictures of the NRPM. They'd just as soon not have ARIN staff look
any closer. And let's not forget that a goodly fraction of the folks
who show up at ARIN meetings primarily represent out-region interests
in the first place.

What really gets my goat is the rationalizations I've seen put forth
for why so-and-so's out-region use is legit. Waah. I can't possibly
make my allocation pools match my customers' installation addresses.
Waah. I don't want to have to deal with RIPE for my European
infrastructure. Boo frickin' hoo. Man up and admit that the reason you
don't want this policy is that you've knowingly been doing things
wrong for the last decade plus, and you don't want to have to change.

Once you've admitted it, add another sentence to the brief suggested policy:

"ARIN number resources in use outside the region upon enaction of this
policy are grandfathered until recovered from their then-current
assignment."

Regards.
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004