[arin-ppml] Internet Fairness

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 21:27:27 EST 2014

On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 2:02 AM, Randy Carpenter <rcarpen at network1.net> wrote:

> A capitalistic model does not work for a finite resource like IP addresses. All that would happen is that a large company could just buy up all of the space, and then set its own price for everyone else. How's that for "fairness" ??

Well, there is the position that that would encourage
(especially) the small orgs to move to IPv6 to avoid
the $MEGACORP$ tax to return to fairness.  That
could be considered good for all.

So, to assure long term fairness, should ARIN start
charging $1,000 per IPv4 address to encourage
IPv6 adoption (and fund the RPKI defense fund :-)
[Yes, I know, fees are not a policy issue]