[arin-ppml] Internet Fairness

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Dec 18 11:58:33 EST 2014

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 04:35:41PM +0000, Steven Ryerse wrote:

> If it is not OK to deny the Minimum domain (available) name to an Org, then it isn’t OK to deny an Org the Minimum  IP allocation.  They are both Internet resources.

The analogy seems faulty to me.  The number space is finite (and in
the case of v4, not very large).  The name space in any given registry
is admittedly not infinite, since (1) it's limited to labels 63 octets
long from the LDH repertoire and (2) useful mnemonics are generally
shorter than 63 octets and usually a wordlike thing in some natural
language.  There are, however, lots of registries (more all the time!
Thanks, ICANN!); and last I checked neither info nor biz was anything
close to the size (or utility) of com, even though they've both been
around since 2001 and have rather similar registration rules.  So,
there is an argument in favour of tight rules for allocation of v4
numbers that is not available in the name case.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com