[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-204 Removing Needs Test from Small IPv4 Transfers (fwd)

Michael Peddemors michael at linuxmagic.com
Tue Apr 29 13:48:02 EDT 2014

On 14-04-29 10:28 AM, David Huberman wrote:
> When I studied it for ARIN, 87% of the v4 address space ARIN issued over
> a 2 year period went to ELEVEN companies.
>
> I’m not speaking directly to prop 204, but in general:  policy has
> favored big guys at the gross expense of small guys for 15 years.  It’s
> injust. And the math (at least in the mid-to-late 2000s when I studied
> it) doesn’t support it.
>
> The RIPE/APNIC model of ‘everyone starts on an even playing field by
> getting a /x just by opening an account’ is a much fairer way of doing
> business, in my opinion.
>
> *David R Huberman*
>
> Microsoft Corporation
>
> Senior IT/OPS Program Manager (GFS)

Oh, and even worst .. it is what the big guys are using it for ;)
We are working with some of our relationships to show some statistics on
usage.. Just this morning I was forwarded two /18 ranges that were seen
recently granted issued the behavior of those networks, (no rwhois
delegation, fake domains etc) do have to make people stop and think, in
an age where we are running out of IP Space.

And with no effective mandate for enforcement at ARIN, it does reflect
that something is broken with the current mandate, when someone can get
a /18 for 'future' use, while a small player like the one that started
this thread cannot get a /22 for current use.

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."