[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML Digest, Vol 106, Issue 8

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Apr 4 16:25:18 EDT 2014

-----Original Message-----

> With an exhausted IPv4 pool, there are no "pool limitations at the
> time of allocation" as there are no allocations.  ARIN's role in IPv4 is
> primarily the third goal above: registry accuracy.
>
> That's why I advocate removing needs-basis from transfers in a post-
> exhaustion world.  There's no pool to manage[1], so the only OFFICIAL
> mandate ARIN has from the network operator community is to run
> an accurate registry.

I agree with David.
Needs assessment was designed to be a rationing mechanism that filled in the gap left by the absence of a price system for Ipv4 addresses.
Because ARIN hands out free pool number blocks for free, the absence of needs assessment would provoke a first come first served land rush and subsequent tragedy of the commons. Once you reach exhaust, however, no one gets number blocks for free, everyone must pay a market price for them. The rationale for needs assessment is totally gone. Restricting transfers in this environment _will_ inevitably produce inaccuracies in the registry data.