[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors - Revised

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Sep 27 19:33:34 EDT 2013

David,

On Sep 28, 2013, at 1:17 AM, David Huberman <David.Huberman at microsoft.com> wrote:
> David and PPML,
>
> The core issue is "should ARIN provide number resources to networks whose customers and users are exclusively outside the ARIN service region?" The genesis of the question is borne of a staff report that Chinese hosting companies are using routing tricks to number their customers in China with ARIN addresses. Moreover, the amount of space being allocated to Chinese companies is highly significant.
>
> The policy proposal on the table offers one mechanism to answer, "No" to this question.  Lost in the PPML debate so far (from my perspective) is the core question above.
>
> As ARIN-region operators, are you ok with what's left in ARIN's inventory going to networks who are, for all intents and purposes, in China?

Thank you very much for clearly and succinctly laying out the core question associated with this policy.

While I might generalize (e.g., not focusing specifically on China even though that was in the staff report -- they're probably just the first/currently most notable), I personally believe the first step in determining whether one agrees or disagrees with this policy would be to answer David's question.

Noting that AfriNIC and LACNIC have answered this question in the negative ("no, it is not ok") might be a useful data point to consider.

If your answer to David's question is "I'm ok with it", then further discussion is irrelevant.

If your answer to David's question is "No, I'm not ok with it", then descent into details of how ARIN staff can establish where a network is might be a worthwhile exercise (although it might be the case that this could be left to ARIN staff to determine as an implementation detail not related to the overall policy).

Regards,
-drc