[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors - Revised

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Sep 26 08:49:47 EDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 8:11 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
>> On Sep 25, 2013, at 18:04, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>>> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 6:44 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>>> It's possible that they don't need anything, in which case, they are legally
>>> operating there without needing any licenses or permits.
>
>> As a Virginian, I'll help you out: in at least one version of that
>> scenario, they in fact don't need anything.
>
> Bill, I'm no lawyer but the following seems to contradict your statement, at
> least in my plain English reading.
>
> http://www.scc.virginia.gov/clk/befaq/forinva.aspx#a1

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+13.1-757

B. The following activities, among others, do not constitute
transacting business within the meaning of subsection A:

5. Selling through independent contractors;

6. Soliciting or obtaining orders, whether by mail or through
employees or agents or otherwise, if the orders require acceptance
outside this Commonwealth before they become contracts;

9. Owning, without more, real or personal property;

C. The list of activities in subsection B is not exhaustive.

So, yeah. There are scenarios in which registration is required and
there are scenarios in which it's not. Look at the sentences above.
That's a challenge for a judge to make an assessment, let alone ARIN.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004